A00016 - La Vida Es Sueno

While at Amherst College, I took several classes in the Spanish department.  I never completely learned to speak the language, but I did development a rudimentary reading ability.

One of the works in Spanish that I recall reading was La Vida Es Sueno by Pedro Calderon de la Barca
,

and, as I recall I read this work for the class of Professor James Maraniss.

James Maraniss passed away last week


In reading his obituary, I was struck by the fact that he was the librettist for a Pulitizar Prize winning opera based on Calderon's masterpiece, an opera that appears to only have been staged once.  

For the musical selection for this Friday, I leave you with the story behind the creation of the relatively unheard opera 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-ca-lewis-spratlan-20100725-story.html

and with the wonder of the notes that can be read but cannot be heard.

Peace,

Everett Jenkins
Fairfield, California
January 28, 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A00173 - The 'Spiritual Wonder" of Van Gogh's Starry Night

Alphabetical and Numerical Listings (1-220)

A00244 - Fatima Bernawi, The First Female Palestinian Resistance Organizer