A00150 - Book of the Month for the Month of May 2023: Awe: The Science of Everyday Wonder and How It Can Transform Your Life by Dacher Keltner

 

In response to my email concerning my unexpected reaction to visiting the Grotto of Massabielle at Lourdes, a friend of mine suggested that I read the book titled Awe: The Science of Everyday Wonder and How It Can Transform Your Life by Dacher Keltner. 

https://www.amazon.com/Awe-Science-Everyday-Wonder-Transform/dp/1984879685/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1NJI4COVZJQEL&keywords=awe+dacher+keltner&qid=1683204343&sprefix=awe+%2Caps%2C261&sr=8-2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacher_Keltner

I purchased the book and began reading it this week.  Based upon what I have experienced, and what I have read, I believe that Awe is a book that should be read by all. Accordingly, for me, Awe: The Science of Everyday Wonder and How It Can Transform Your Life shall be my Book of the Month for the Month of May 2023.  You are welcome to read along with me and experience the everyday wonders that abound.

Peace,

Everett "Skip" Jenkins
Fairfield, California
May 4, 2023



-----Original Message-----
From: skipjen2865@aol.com
To: 
Sent: Fri, Apr 7, 2023 1:59 pm
Subject: A Day with Bernadette ... and the Lady



It has been an eventful day here at Lourdes. I went to the 9:30 am Good Friday mass. It was held in the open air on the plaza in front of the basilica. I suppose there may have been two to three hundred people there. They had a line of people in wheelchairs as well as many others who appeared to be ailing from one malady or another. After the end of the service, the people began to form a tiered grouping to take a photo of all those who attended. Those in wheelchairs were in the front while the more able bodied were in the back. I initially stayed away from the group, however, a man in the group saw me and beckoned me to come join the photo. Somewhere, in the digital universe, there now exists a photo of me in the back row of the attendees of the Good Friday mass at Lourdes on April 7, 2023. Wow!

After the photo, I went to the grotto of Massabielle where the apparitions of the Lady of Lourdes manifested for Bernadette. I walked into the cave and the touched the walls. Some of the walls were damp as though they had been weeping. After making the procession through the cave, I went to the area in front of the cave where there is seating. I sat for a while and prayed ... and then for some reason I began to cry.

I do not know why that happened. Indeed, I do not know why, while I am writing this, I have begun to cry again. I suppose this pilgrimage has been more than even I expected.

It is almost 11:00 pm now and I need to go out back to the grotto. I need to get some water for myself and for many others. I do not know if I will make it back here again. So I must take advantage of this opportunity to take a little bit of the miracle back with me.

Take care.

Peace, .


Everett "Skip" Jenkins

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A00173 - The 'Spiritual Wonder" of Van Gogh's Starry Night

Alphabetical and Numerical Listings (1-220)

A00244 - Fatima Bernawi, The First Female Palestinian Resistance Organizer