A00153 - Movie of the Month for the Month of May 2023: Chevalier

Growing up in the 1950s and the 1960s, I loved seeing Errol Flynn in his Robin Hood movie and any movie showing the Three Musketeers. However, the heroes in those movies were always white and black folks were nowhere to be seen. It was not until the 1990s that I became aware of the fact that the Three Musketeers 


were the creation of Alexandre Dumas, a person of African descent 
,

and that the swashbuckling adventures of the dashing D'Artagnan were based, in part, on the real life adventures of Alexander Dumas' father, General Thomas Alexandre Dumas 


In learning about the career of Thomas-Alexandre Dumas, I also learned about an even more famous contemporary of the elder Dumas, Joseph Bologne, the Chevalier de Saint Georges 


I am nearing 70 now and the days of romanticizing about the Three Musketeers now seem like fond, but dimming, memories of the past.  However, last night I went to see the movie Chevalier


and, for a few moments, I realized that the dreams of my youth were finally being fulfilled.  In telling the story of the Chevalier de Saint-Georges, here at last, the swashbuckling character was a black man and amazingly, he is real.

So, my friends, for the person who is 70 but going on 10, I recommend Chevalier as the Movie of the Month for the Month of May 2023.

Catch it while you can.

Peace,

Everett "Skip" Jenkins
Fairfield, California
May 12, 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A00173 - The 'Spiritual Wonder" of Van Gogh's Starry Night

Alphabetical and Numerical Listings (1-220)

A00244 - Fatima Bernawi, The First Female Palestinian Resistance Organizer